Failure to see God at work.
- Jesus came alongside the disciples on the water.
- Similar to God passing by Moses, 33:18-23.
- The disciples did not recognize Jesus.
- They knew Him well but thought He was a ghost.
- They did not expect to see Him during their troubles.
- God is always ready to come alongside His servants.
- The better we know God the better we see Him at work.
Failure to trust God as He works.
- Jesus had calmed a storm on the lake once before, Mark 4:39.
- He reassured the disciples who He was, Matt. 14:27.
- “It is I” might be the same as “I am” (Ex. 3:14).
- Peter should be commended for his faith to try.
- Peter failed when he stopped looking at Jesus.
- The disciples illustrate faith and failure.
- They worshipped Jesus for calming the storm.
- They still failed to really understand who He was.
- Our life of faith is a process of growth.
- Everyone has a mixture of faith and failure.
- The foundation is always looking to God.
Live It Out
This miracle speaks to God being with us during the storms of life.
- The next time you face troubles or have to make an important decision, imagine God standing next to you.
- Make an effort to ask Him for guidance throughout the day.